Articles on this Page
- 08/14/13--08:40: _Indian official: al...
- 08/14/13--08:41: _Egypt slaps nightti...
- 01/06/14--13:01: _Rio garbage boats a...
- 01/06/14--13:01: _Iraq calls on Fallu...
- 01/06/14--13:03: _Rodman, ex-NBA All ...
- 01/09/14--08:23: _Romania to extradit...
- 01/09/14--08:24: _Rodman apologizes f...
- 01/09/14--08:25: _Bombing kills 21 at...
- 01/10/14--07:50: _French president an...
- 01/10/14--07:51: _Pakistan to award s...
- 01/10/14--07:52: _Kenya: Fighter jets...
- 01/15/14--09:07: _5 killed in shootou...
- 01/15/14--09:08: _Danish tourist gang...
- 01/16/14--07:27: _Vatican comes under...
- 01/16/14--07:29: _Olympic workers fal...
- 02/06/14--09:24: _Sochi’s opening sho...
- 02/06/14--09:25: _EU seeking to upgra...
- 02/25/14--09:35: _Leader of Syrian mi...
- 02/25/14--09:35: _Ukraine ex-aide sho...
- 04/05/14--08:42: _China ship hears ‘s...
- 08/14/13--08:40: Indian official: all 18 on submarine feared dead
- 08/14/13--08:41: Egypt slaps nighttime curfew on Cairo, 10 regions
- 01/06/14--13:01: Rio garbage boats aim to clean Olympic waters
- 01/06/14--13:01: Iraq calls on Fallujah residents to expel al-Qaida
- 01/06/14--13:03: Rodman, ex-NBA All Stars arrive in North Korea
- 01/09/14--08:23: Romania to extradite man over Texas slayings
- 01/09/14--08:24: Rodman apologizes for comments on jailed American
- 01/09/14--08:25: Bombing kills 21 at Iraq army recruiting center
- 01/10/14--07:50: French president angry over report on love life
- 01/10/14--07:51: Pakistan to award slain boy for foiling bombing
- 01/10/14--07:52: Kenya: Fighter jets kill 30 militants in Somalia
- 01/15/14--09:07: 5 killed in shootout in Russian region of Dagestan
- 01/15/14--09:08: Danish tourist gang-raped, Indian police say
- 01/16/14--07:27: Vatican comes under sharp criticism for sex abuse
- 01/16/14--07:29: Olympic workers fall from roof while clearing snow
- 02/06/14--09:24: Sochi’s opening show: Let Putin’s games begin
- 02/06/14--09:25: EU seeking to upgrade bloc’s ties with Cuba
- 02/25/14--09:35: Leader of Syrian militant group challenges rivals
- 02/25/14--09:35: Ukraine ex-aide shot; No new govt before Thursday
- 04/05/14--08:42: China ship hears ‘signal’; unclear if jet-related
NEW DELHI (AP) — An Indian naval official says all 18 sailors on board a submarine are feared dead after twin explosions and a fire ripped through their vessel in a Mumbai harbor.
CAIRO (AP) — Egypt's government has slapped a monthlong nighttime curfew on Cairo and 10 provinces.
RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) — A stout green catamaran plied the polluted waters of Rio de Janeiro’s Guanabara Bay alongside wooden fishing boats, but its catch Monday consisted not of grouper or swordfish but rather plastic bags, empty soda bottles and a discarded toilet seat. The catamaran is one of three so-called “eco-boats,” floating garbage […]
BAGHDAD (AP) — Iraq’s prime minister urged Fallujah residents on Monday to expel al-Qaida militants to avoid an all-out battle in the besieged city, a sign that the government could be paving the way for an imminent military push in an attempt to rout hard-line Sunni insurgents challenging its territorial control over the western approaches […]
PYONGYANG, North Korea (AP) — Dennis Rodman said Monday that a game he and other former National Basketball Association players are planning in North Korea will be a “birthday present” for one of their most unlikely fans: leader Kim Jong Un. Rodman’s squad — featuring ex-All Stars Kenny Anderson, Cliff Robinson and Vin Baker — […]
BUCHAREST, Romania (AP) — A Romanian-born Texas fugitive charged in the shooting death of his wife and their son at the family’s Houston-area house can be extradited to the U.S. The Bucharest Court of Appeals ruled Thursday that Camil Matase, who was caught in eastern Romania on Nov. 20, can be returned to Houston to […]
PYONGYANG, North Korea (AP) — Dennis Rodman apologized Thursday for comments he made in North Korea about a detained American missionary, saying he had been drinking and was under pressure as he organized a game with former NBA players. The former basketball star issued the apology through publicist Jules Feiler in an email message to […]
BAGHDAD (AP) — A suicide bomber blew himself up at a military recruiting center in Baghdad on Thursday, killing at least 21 people in an attack likely meant to send a message to the government and would-be army volunteers over the Iraqi troops’ ongoing push to retake two cities overrun by al-Qaida militants. The blast […]
PARIS (AP) — French President Francois Hollande threatened legal action Friday over a magazine report saying he is having a secret affair with an actress, the latest breach in the French media’s practice of turning a blind eye to presidential love affairs. Rumors have long circulated that Hollande might have a lover. The magazine Closer […]
ISLAMABAD (AP) — Pakistan’s prime minister announced Friday that a teenage boy who sacrificed his life to stop a suicide bomber who wanted to attack his school should be honored with the nation’s highest civil award of bravery. Aitzaz Hasan, 17, died Monday in a remote village in Hangu, a district in northwest Khyber Pakhtunkhwa […]
NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) — The Kenyan military says it has killed at least 30 Islamic militants in an airstrike on a militant camp in Somalia. A statement from the military Friday said fighter jets attacked the camp at Garbarahey in the Gedo region in Somalia on Thursday, where a meeting was being held. Military spokesman […]
MAKHACHKALA, Russia (AP) — A shootout between security forces and militants in the volatile Russian region of Dagestan killed five people, authorities said. The gunbattle broke out after militants barricaded themselves inside a home in the village of Karlanyurt, Dagestan Investigative Committee spokesman Rasul Temirbekov told The Associated Press. The fatalities included three security force […]
NEW DELHI (AP) — A 51-year-old Danish tourist was gang-raped near a popular shopping area in New Delhi after she got lost and approached a group of men for directions back to her hotel, police said Wednesday. Police spokesman Rajan Bhagat said two people were arrested after a daylong search for the suspects. Details were […]
GENEVA (AP) — The Vatican came under blistering criticism from a U.N. committee Thursday for its handling of the global priest sex abuse scandal, facing its most intense public grilling to date over allegations that it protected pedophile priests at the expense of victims. The Vatican insisted it had little jurisdiction to sanction pedophile priests […]
SOCHI, Russia (AP) — Six workers have fallen off a roof at the bobsled center for the upcoming Winter Olympics in Sochi when the snow they were clearing slid to the ground. Associated Press technicians who witnessed the fall Thursday said one of the men appeared to have injured a leg and was taken away […]
SOCHI, Russia (AP) — They're designed to celebrate a millennium of Russian might and this country's modern rebound, and kick off two weeks of extraordinary human endeavors and planetary sportsmanship. But the ceremony opening the Sochi Olympics on Friday, more than anything, will be about one man: Vladimir Putin.
BRUSSELS (AP) — Europe is set to upgrade its ties with Cuba in a bid to broaden economic cooperation and demand more progress on respecting human rights and fundamental freedoms, a senior European Union official said Thursday.
BEIRUT (AP) — The leader of a powerful al-Qaida-linked group in Syria gave a rival breakaway group a five-day ultimatum to accept mediation by leading clerics to end infighting or be “expelled” from the region. The ultimatum announced in an audio recording by the leader of the Nusra Front aims to end months of deadly […]
KIEV, Ukraine (AP) — Ukraine’s new authorities navigated tricky political waters Tuesday, launching a new presidential campaign, working on a new government and trying to seek immediate financial help from the West. Yet protests in the country’s pro-Russian region of Crimea and the shooting of a top aide to fugitive President Viktor Yanukovych — a […]
PERTH, Australia (AP) — A Chinese ship involved in the hunt for the missing Malaysian jetliner reported hearing a “pulse signal” Saturday in Indian Ocean waters with the same frequency emitted by the plane’s data recorders, as Malaysia vowed not to give up in the search for the jet. Military and civilian planes, ships with […]